An emotionally well person possesses the ability to cope effectively with stress and express emotions freely. Such a person will be able to go through life with a positive attitude and hence is better able to enjoy life to its fullest.
A good social support network like friends who can share your joy or come to you in times of need can provide that stabilising effect that reinforces your emotional wellness. Pursuing activities that you enjoy like reading, gardening and baking, for example, are also good for your emotional wellness.
Emotional wellness can be improved by:
- Knowing and Setting Your Priorities: Prioritise and make a list of things to do in your lifetime.
- Maintaining a Positive Attitude: Take the optimistic approach to life and always consider the glass half full.
- Having a Good Laugh: Laugh at yourself frequently and stop being preoccupied with negative comments and gossip.
- Being Aware of Your Thoughts and Feelings: Accept, express and control your emotions, build relationships and handle setbacks.
- Taking up a New Hobby: Make time to pursue something you enjoy doing.
- Reducing Stress and Worries: Share your troubles with family and friends who are able and most willing to help.
Republished with permission from Council of Third Age.
Tags: Elderly Care /Health Matters